Moving off to college is a big step in anyone’s life. This is the moment when children leave the nest to become adults on their own. At the same time, most college students are going to make mistakes along the way, especially if they don’t know what to pack or what their mover’s rights are.. It is at this stage that those children who left their homes will be forged into adults, but not before they trip a few times. Perhaps the very first time that they trip is the day that they move out to their new dorm. No matter who they are, they always forget at least one thing at home. To help future generations of adults avoid this mistake, the moving experts at Movingcompanies.us have come up with a list of the five most common things that college students forget on moving day.
1. Shower Shoes: It is easy to see why people might forget to pack shower shoes, because at home, these shoes are not needed. At the same time, going to college and living in a dorm means that you will be sharing a bathroom with multiple other people, so it is a good idea to have shoes that you can wear on the way, and in, the shower.
2. Toiletry Bag: Since you will be sharing a bathroom with other people, you should not expect to be able to take up half the bathroom with all of your personal toiletries. As such, make sure that you have a carrying bag that can hold all of these items when you need them. This is especially important for anyone who is at the other end of the dorm from the bathrooms.
3. Ear Plugs: This is perhaps the most overlooked aspect of moving when you are going from your home into a dorm room. Remember, there are many other people that are going to be living around you. As such, you should expect to hear a lot of different noises at various times of day and night. Having ear plugs around will ensure that you can sleep and concentrate on homework or other needs.
4. Duct Tape: No place is going to be perfect, so make sure you bring a roll of this handy duct tape with you when you are moving into a dorm room. Not only will you be able to handle any problems that come your way, you can also use it for organizational purposes such as taping cords out of the way or putting posters up on the wall.
5. Tools: You might be surprised at all the times you are going to need something simple like a hammer or a screwdriver when you don’t have one. These might seem like things you don’t need in a college dorm, but they will come in handy if you do bring them. Since so much can be done with these simple tools, it is important to at least have them on hand. It can save you time and effort when you find you need one.
As you can see, there are some very important things that new college students forget to bring with them when they move off to the dorm for the first time. It is a good idea to research what you will need before you go and pack in an organized manner, so that you can go to school well prepared for the various things that life is about to throw your way.